Monday, October 5, 2009

Good Golly, General Conference Time Again

When I was younger (like two years ago), I could not focus my attention on the twice-yearly LDS General Conference to save my life. I'd pull out my notebook, find a comfy seat, and then the voice of Richard G. Scott or whomever would either lull me to sleep or just buzz around my head like a fly while I doodled. No focus.
Then last April something happened. Something changed. And I wanted to hear every single word coming from our leaders' mouths. Every word. I don't know what brought about the change, but I am grateful for it.
Conference weekend now is eight hours packed full of wonderful speakers who have spent the last several months praying to the Lord to know what I need them to speak about. And what you need to hear too, of course. And what the world needs to hear.
My favorite talk was from Thomas S. Monson, President of the LDS Church. His theme was, "What have you done for someone today?"
He quoted a poem which said, "I never have yet felt the tinge of regret for being a little too kind." Then he spoke about all of the acts of service that members of the Church, young and old, performed for others in honor of his birthday. He showed a picture of a large glass jar filled with glittery pom poms that one primary had sent him. They called it their "warm fuzzy" jar, where each pom pom represented a kind deed that a child did for someone else through out the course of the year.
I want a "warm fuzzy" jar.
I will have one.
I even bought pom poms today.
I am so excited I can hardly wait to show my kids and start filling it up.
President Monson concluded by quoting the hymn, "Have I Done Any Good?"

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped any one in need?
Have I cheered up the sad, or made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.

Has any one's burden been lighter today,
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

Then wake up and do something more,
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, A joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.

Now I am focused, armed with pom poms, "What have I done for someone today?" as my motto.
I am so excited.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The primary that sent the warm fuzzies jar was actually my in-laws ward. They were so thrilled to see it show up on TV during conference.

Unstoppable Lindsey said...

Totally getting a warm fuzzy jar for myself. Who said you had to have kids to do all the service and fill the jar??

Unknown said...

Amen to this post! Can't get enough of the brethren.